Pages

Friday, June 29, 2018

For Sunday, 7/1/18, "Trust Jesus"

Today, I was asked by a couple journeying through one's partner life threatening illness, "Would you pray for us? We are asking this of anyone concerned for our welfare. Please pass our request on to anyone you can."  Moved nearly to the point of tears by their faith, I replied, "Of course, I have been doing this for you already and I will continue doing so." The pastor's heart in me found no conflict in this response and request as the mission to which I signed on with my current employer, a Catholic Healthcare organization, states, "We continue the healing mission of Jesus Christ..."

Interestingly too, are all the other past moments leading up to such a moment, e.g. the Catholic University that trained me to be an insightful master's level psychologist which gave me courage to do what is right by others.  Leading to such a moment is the faith tradition in which I was raised and employed and ordained and to which five generations of my ancestors committed their lives in mission and tithes that gave me birthright to claim myself as prophetic and a mystic -- even to the point of moving on from that tradition when it limited my soul/spirit/mind more than I could bear.  As God once said to me through a sacrament, "Be faithful and I will be faithful to you. I will lift you up out your seeming obscurity. I will dignify your life with my constant daily care. The light of your life shall shine forth and bless many as you become a sharp and refined instrument for good." All which have come to pass.

Further leading to that moment with the couple is spiritual direction work the past seven years with a university professor for interfaith spirituality, a priceless soul and scholar who confronted me and pressed me during our sessions to accept that I too am a prophet of God's diverse unconditional love and that God has chosen to work with me directly and to embrace that journey alongside many others I know and love -- and those who I don't know yet and who I will come to love -- who are themselves prophets and mystics seeking the soul and being and "Just and Peaceable Reign" of "The One" who is the author of us all.

My heart is full of love for each of you, even if your heart has lost love for me. I understand and accept and respect that. For me, I am who I am, and with that there are these days inexplicable moments of joy beyond my comprehension but not my curiosity -- alongside all that come healing moments when I hold someone close in spirit or close in person -- and pray the healing prayers. 

Brad Shumate
Free of Encumbrance
Eugene, Oregon USA
Friday, 6/29/18
          

No comments:

Post a Comment