Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

God's Planting, Hearts Loving, Symbols Resulting

Lectionary Scripture Focus - John 12:24-25 NRSV

Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.  Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 




Reflection on the Scripture:

“The cross is what must happen when someone becomes human.”

It was a comment I heard last Sunday from a Luther Seminary professor, Karoline Lewis.  When I first heard the comment, I really liked it.  I still do.  But as the week wore on and I considered things from an interfaith perspective, I realized that the professor’s statement may not go far enough.  For instance, how would one of my Muslim friends respond to such a statement?  Or how would one of my Jewish friends feel about such words?

I think a Muslim friend might say that the crescent moon and star is what must happen when someone becomes human given the Pillars of Islam, one of which is charity, and the Articles of Faith represented in the symbol, one of which is to respect God’s messengers and prophets.  A Jewish friend might say one becomes human when one accepts that the Star of David which is a representation of awe and trust, i.e. that God rules over the universe and people are protected no matter from what direction danger or evil comes.

Symbols can say and represent so many things.  They can even make us laugh and find release from some of the tension and stress of our daily lives, thus making us feel more human -- more like ourselves.  For in the end, many of us will probably wish that we had laughed far more often in life than we did.  Laughter and memories of laughter should probably be written on our hearts just as often and deeply as anything else.

One lighthearted memory for me as a child, when visiting my paternal grandparents, is that I was always on the lookout for a time when I could sneak into my grandpa’s study alone and explore things on his desk and bulletin boards.  One thing I always looked for and delighted seeing was a set of four monkeys sitting on a bookshelf over his desk.  You probably know already what each monkey said, but if you don’t, enjoy the graphic below from ironydesign.com:



As a kid, it was a symbol for me about my grandpa.  Though his humorous side didn’t show through very often, those four monkeys assured me that it existed.  Also as a child, I never knew what to make of the naked girl soap bar my grandpa kept in the bathroom medicine chest.  It always fascinated me and I wondered why, that is until puberty hit and finally I got it.  I did wonder why Grandma let him keep it around and eventually figured out that it wasn't any of my business.  Then there was the poem I would read and reread on his bulletin year and year.  I’m sure some of you will recognize it, supposedly the author is anonymous:

Old age is golden, or so I’ve heard said,
But sometimes I wonder, as I crawl into bed,
With my ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on the table until I wake up.
As sleep dims my vision, I say to myself
Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?
But, though nations are warring, and Congress is vexed,
We’ll still stick around to see what happens next!
 
How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get-up-and-go has got up and went!
But, in spite of it all, I’m able to grin
And think of the places my getup has been!

When I was young, my slippers were red;
I could kick up my heels right over my head.
When I was older my slippers were blue,
But still I could dance the whole night through.
Now I am older, my slippers are black.
I huff to the store and puff my way back.
But never you laugh; I don’t mind at all:
I’d rather be huffing than not puff at all!
 
How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get-up-and-go has got up and went!
But, in spite of it all, I’m able to grin
And think of the places my getup has been!

I get up each morning and dust off my wits,
Open the paper, and read the Obits.
If I’m not there, I know I’m not dead,
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed!
 
How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get-up-and-go has got up and went!
But, in spite of it all, I’m able to grin
And think of the places my getup has been!
    
These things became symbols to me of a man I loved and called, “Grandpa.”  His life in turn became a symbol for me of what it meant to live with honor, passion, and integrity before the world, especially during his years serving as a Justice of the Peace.  My adult life has in many ways been a reflection of the example he lived in loving his family, loving his community, and loving his God.

Two of the greatest hopes that ever resided in him were the just and peaceable reign of God and that one day, when he passed from this life to life with God, he would see again his beloved young adult daughter lost so tragically and suddenly in a motor vehicle accident.  It was a cross that my grandpa bore his whole life.  The suffering of it made his humanity something I’ll always treasure, especially for the seeds of compassion it planted in me and the importance of the fruits of spirituality it taught me -- no matter what faith a person takes to oneself in this life.

Family lore has it that one day late in life while Grandpa shoveled snow after a heavy storm, the snowy ground in front of him took on a dazzling brilliance and his attention was drawn up from the sidewalk to see his daughter, Gwen, standing before him.  With love so full in her eyes and expression, she spoke these gentle yet simple words, “It won’t be long Dad.  Soon, we’ll be together again.”

May God’s Peace be with you,

Brad Shumate
Free of Encumbrance

No comments:

Post a Comment