Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Be Isaiah. Be Christ. Be You!"

For Sunday, March 28th, 2010

Lectionary Reading - Isaiah 50:4-9a (NRSV)

The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord GOD who helps me; who will declare me guilty?

(Graphic is of the Prophet Isaiah from a "Panel from the Maesta Altarpiece of Siena"; date 1308-1311; artist: Duccio di Buoninsegna c.1250/60-1318; located in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.)

"Be Isaiah. Be Christ. Be You!"

Chris Haslam’s commentary from the Anglican Diocese of Montreal for the above scripture notes that chapters 40-55 of Isaiah contain four servant songs. The first song acknowledges that there is a “choosing” by God of those who will be called to serve and further God’s purposes. The second song is that in answering God’s call, the servant can expect that some of their fellow human beings will abuse, denigrate, or ignore them. However the third song affirms that such humiliating experiences will strengthen the servant, helping the individual to remain disciplined and steadfast. The fourth and last song is that others -- even those who are strangers or foreigners -- will be touched and amazed by the servant’s story for the lessons and teachings it taught the servant will benefit their lives. And then in time, God will vindicate the servant and prove the servant’s calling right and true.

As I read and reflected on the above commentary, it seemed to describe my life’s journey and experience at various junctures. I can think of quite a few times and occasions that a situation or set of circumstances in which I tried to help, or tried to teach, or tried to redirect, or tried to move toward something healthier and more positive resulted instead in negative outcomes. Typically those outcomes resulted in being ignored however there have been situations in which I was rejected, undermined, -- even humiliated and abused.

Over time through repeated experience with such dynamics and then seeing the outcomes that I had predicted come to be, I have arrived to a kind of confidence about making assessments or observations related to such things. Mostly, it’s that my observations tend to bear out. They tend to bear out whether they involve toxic relationships, toxic communities, or the abusive demeaning undermining things that happen in such circumstances. And over time for me, it has provided the means by which to remain steadfast in a situation where there’s hope despite the evil or ignorance that must be confronted. Such things have also taught me when to advocate, and if necessary, fight for what is right. But then to also know when to let go and move on either because it useless to struggle any longer against a broken system or because I have done all that can be done to help that system or individual or family or community become healthier. And what these things have taught me as most important is that like Isaiah, I must never let my voice or hopes or expectations be silenced or compromised.

As most of us know, there are many means by which the world tries to silence our voices, our hopes, or our expectations. The evil and the ignorant try through a variety of them. They try through exercising their supposed authority. They may also try through making the excuse that their way is better or more preferred than yours or that your way or your voice or what you advocate is too risky or constitutes too great a threat. The Prophet Isaiah didn’t buy such tripe so why should you if you’re a Peaceable Kingdom advocate like him. Instead, Isaiah kept his voice strong and resilient in the face of those who criticized or tried to undermine him and the calling and vision God gave him. It bears repeating what Isaiah said, i.e. that morning by morning God taught him and he was not rebellious and did not turn from what God placed in his heart.

Most of us would also say that Jesus didn’t buy such tripe either. So why should you or I let our voices be silenced by the world around us if we like him are Peaceable Kingdom advocates too. Family and friends and followers and religious officials and governmental authorities all tried at one point or another to silence Jesus’ voice and his message. But as we know, Jesus didn’t buckle or cave in. Instead he remained strong and at times he was about as reactionary as it gets. The Gospels quote such examples as the times he called certain individuals poisonous snakes, or when he told his mother that she wasn’t really his mother but that all are his mother. Then there were the occasions he called others Satan or evil. Once he even made a whip and ran around lashing out at people with it and overturning tables and chased them out of the Temple. And then there’s the occasion he sighed and asked God how much longer he would have to tolerate the faithless and perverse generation that surrounded him. Yep, Jesus said it pretty plain and pretty straight whenever he wanted or felt the need to do so. And since that was the case his voice and his way of doing things resulted in him going all the way to the cross.

There are those of you who regularly visit this blog from different countries all around the world. For most of you, I don’t know what specifically draws you here and it’s probably not important that I do. But if what brings you here is your compassion and your hope for a world that’s just for each and every living soul – and if what brings you here is a sense of God’s calling in your life coupled with the need to give voice to that calling and the vision you’re to advocate but you’re running into resistance, then know this: You have been very much in my heart and thought and prayers this past week. I don’t know if you’re in China or Singapore or Sweden or the UK or US or Israel or France or India or Africa or wherever. All I know is that you have been struggling and you have been unsure about what you’re feeling and what you should do. Believe me. I have been in your shoes. I know what it’s like. What I urge you to do is that you bring into the light of day what God has put into your heart. I urge you not only for your own sake, benefit, and need but for the sake, benefit, and need of those for whom you care and love. Let your expectations be known and not silenced. Let your voice be heard. Share the calling, share the hope God’s placed in you.  Be Isaiah. Be Christ. Be you!

No comments:

Post a Comment