Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Giving Equals Surviving"


For Sunday, December 27th, 2009

Lectionary Scripture - Colossians 3:12-17 (NRSV)

A close friend recently told me that this time of year is especially important to him. He loves the festive nature of it. People are in good spirits. The holiday music buoys up most anyone. Folks are typically more generous and compassionate. For me, the landscape of life pretty much resembles the words of scripture from this Sunday’s lectionary scripture in Colossians. So on that note and trying to keep things simple right before Christmas, I have a couple of stories to share that will buoy you up during these challenging times.

The first is from an older adult individual I began working with this past September during the course of my ministry as an estate planner for my denomination. The individual has given me permission to share her thoughts related to a significant gift she’s making to the church. Likely that gift will be completed either by Christmas or year-end. For me, her generosity and selflessness and spiritual perspective are conveyed through these eloquent and poignant words,

"It does feel quite good to be making this contribution. I wanted the church to have a portion of my estate prior to my death. I trust that you are equally excited about this any time someone makes a gift to the church. Over my lifetime, I have experienced the goodness which flows forth every time a gift is given. Giving may be, in my humble opinion, the most important lesson we learn in this life. All the other doctrines or dogmas to which we subscribe have little meaning outside of what it is that we give away of ourselves and of our properties.”
The donor then shared with me the following story regarding a woman in her congregation:

"I have a dear friend who will be 81 on the 30th of this month. Just over one year ago she lost her home of 50 years to a fire. She had been slowly working at cleaning it out and making the eventual decision to sell it and move into a care facility. The fire made that decision for her. In a matter of minutes everything she had accumulated in a lifetime was gone! All, that is, except what she had given away.
She had given away a two manual organ to a university student who wanted to learn to play. She had given away some very old antique Irish music. She had given away some other items as well. Only those things which she gave away survived the fire. Everything that she had kept tucked away for safe keeping was suddenly gone! What an amazing life lesson she learned from that experience! Of course church friends resupplied her with blankets, beds, dishes, clothes, etc. That is a whole other story of goodness and giving. But, the lesson she talks about is how only the things that she gave away were able to be saved!
The other amazing lesson she shares is that the only items in her home which survived the fire were those which had already been "fired" before. There were some porcelain and antiques which survived because they had withstood the firing process and were prepared for and could withstand the intense heat again. I am trying to remember that regardless of how difficult a situation may be it is always preparation for some other experience that can enable me to grow. A hard lesson but I have had it shown to me so vividly that I cannot deny it.”
Adding my two cents as blog author, the above stories from the women prompt me to skip the usual commentary this week and adapt the Colossian scripture into a Christmas prayer for you:

As God's chosen one -- holy and beloved -- clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, generosity, and patience. Bear with others and forgive and be forgiven just as the Lord forgives. Above all, clothe yourself with love towards all others which binds everything together in perfect harmony. Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly and with gratitude sing psalms and hymns to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of Jesus giving thanks to God always and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment