Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

For Sunday, 12/17/17, "Testify to the Light"

For Sunday 12/17/17, “Testify to the Light!”


"Miracle" 1975 by Edward Ruscha, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston MA

From John 1:6-8 NRSV
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light.

“Testify to the Light” – Lectionary Reflection

This morning, Sunday 12/10/17, I had one of the most precious pleasures a father and grandfather gets to have.  I and my fiancé, Dawn, enjoyed a video “Messenger” call with my daughter Bree, son-in-law Jason, and my two year-old grandson, Jaxson.  The call was not long, perhaps fifteen to twenty minutes at most.  It was however a few precious minutes that I will treasure forever – for when the light bulb of recognition went on and Jaxson shouted out to his dad pointing to his mom’s phone saying, “Grandpa!” – my heart skipped several beats.  I was at a loss for words as joy took over my heart thinking to myself, “Jaxson indeed knows who I am.”

I wonder if this might be how God experiences you and me when our light bulb goes on -- when a moment of awareness lights up and we see, even encounter, the God reflected in Jeremiah 29:11….

"For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11 NRSV)

Increasingly as people of faith come to me these days overwhelmed and traumatized by our politicians and government, I find myself, as a follower of Jesus and as a psychotherapist, pondering quite frequently the words of the Prophet Jeremiah.  When appropriate, I remind individuals of such words in the scared writings of their faith traditions.  I offer such words to comfort, soothe and calm so individuals can move on from their fear and open themselves to a future that an unconditionally loving and accepting God wants for them.  As such sharing brings comfort --- it is as if a light flips on and gratitude fills the individual at being reminded of God's words to the Prophet "....plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope."  Following such conversations, I am confident that persons of faith carry Jeremiah's words of light, hope, and encouragement to others. 

My beloved friends, and those whom I hope to one day call “friend” -- I am the light and you are the light whenever we together testify of “The Light”.  You testify to “The Light” when you stand over and against those who pretend to be the light such as POTUS 45.  You testify to “The Light” when you stand over and against those embrace POTUS 45 as “The Light”.  Those who embrace a “Light Pretender” like POTUS 45 are individuals like  Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Roy Moore, Steve Bannon, and many “moore” like them.  Those who embrace a "Light Pretender” lack Jesus' sense of social justice and moral courage.  They lack understanding of the Jesus who is “Light’ and cowardly they excuse themselves from responsibility saying, “Let the voters of such and such decide.”

Be “The Light” my friends.  We are “The Light” together to the extent that we courageously set aside our tribal affiliations.  The only affiliation that should define you and me is what the Prophet Isaiah prophesied, “They will not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain; for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.” (Isaiah 11:9 NRSV).

I pray for you, my friends, the resolve of God’s Peace, a resolve that treats each person in a loving, accepting, caring way --- an unconditional non-judgmental loving that lives and let lives.   I stand ready to support and encourage your journey in this regard.  I stand by for your grandkid and my mine to know and experience a world at peace -- a world that has plans for them, plans for their welfare and not for harm – plans to give them a future with hope!

Let us courageously testify, witness to, and stand for "The Light" that unites -- unlike the darkness of POTUS 45 that divide you and me from one another.

Brad Shumate
Free of Encumbrance
Eugene, Oregon USA

(Brad Shumate provides spiritual direction ministries in-person, via video-conferencing, by telephone, or through email consultation. If you are interested in benefiting from the healing ministries he offers through spiritual direction, please complete the contact form in the right column of this blog.  Brad will respond within twenty-hours.)          

 



No comments:

Post a Comment